This is so American.
Cheese, corn and blueberries. I know what you’re thinking. Weird, right?
Let’s call it creative instead. Ever since I was a kid I was adventorous with my food. I dipped my doritos in chocolate pudding, crushed oreos into bowls of peanut butter and put ketchup on my mashed potatoes.
Yeah okay, I was a little weird. Point being, there were never any limits with my recipe concoctions. You have to take risks while taking on the role of chef. These risks will lead to a number of disasters but will also leave you with delicious satisfaction. And those moments are SO worth it.
Like these pancakes. With fourth of July approaching I have had this itch for cornbread. It’s such an Americanized thing to do; make cornbread or biscuits or something with your sizzling rack of baby back ribs.
Oh America, you got this love affair with diabetes and finger lickin food.
Somewhere through my indecisive mind, cornbread turned into pancakes. Stuffed with blueberries and spicy white cheddar cheese, then slathered in honey. There’s nothing like that moment you make pancakes and they end up blowing your mind. If there were ever a glimpse of heaven, it lies in creative cornbread pancakes.
The recipe overall will NOT cause you diabetes or a set back in your summer ab goals. The ingredients are all natural, healthy and finger lickin good. Think whole wheat flour, cornmeal, greek yogurt, almond milk and olive oil. So simple and so heart healthy. Instead of using buttermilk in the recipe you will whisk together vanilla greek yogurt, I like Chobani as you already may know, and almond milk until you create a thick curdled milk.
Balance people. We can still eat like Americans AND be healthy. So don’t hesistate when adding white cheddar to your heart healthy blueberry pancakes. And don’t forget to dazzle it all up in honey or maple syrup. Happy 4th y’all!
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- sea salt to taste
- 3/4 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt (Chobani)
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup bluberries
- 1/2 cup white cheddar cheese
- Honey or maple syrup
- Extra cheese
- Combine whole wheat flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt in a large bowl and set aside. In a seperate bowl whisk together almond milk and greek yogurt until it forms a thick mixture. Whisk in egg and olive oil until well combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix together with a wooden spoon, making sure not to over mix. The batter will be thick but still very moist.
- Fold in blueberries and white cheddar. Pour pancakes into a greased and heated skillet to form small circular shapes. I used a cookie scoop to do this and it worked amazing!
- Cook pancakes about 4 minutes on medium heat, then flip and continue to cook until cooked through.
- Serve immediatley with honey or maple syrup!
- Makes 10 medium pancakes