Latest Discrovery: Quiche is like pizza. In breakfast form.
As long as you got the ooey gooey melty heart warming cheese on top. And some fun add ins. On a crispy yet soft in all the right places kind of crust. Yummmmmm. Don’t you love my run on sentences that contain inaccurate grammar?!
I never said I was a pro writer. Quiche maker maybe. But I will leave the grammar accuracy of literature up to the wrting gods of the world.
In the meantime I will be making breakfast pizza and so will you. Aka a quiche with three layers of tastyness.
Bottom layer = Hash browns. I used store bought/pre cut hash browns from the frozen food aisle. The ingredients were just potatoes so how could you go wrong? I am all for the do-it-yourself thing but realistically, saving myself 30 minutes seems more plausible.
Middle Layer = Veggies + Eggs! Yay for nutrition! For this you will steam some brocolli or feel free to use a green vegetable of choice. You will also saute some onion and bell pepper and throw that in there as well for some extra pizazz. The eggs are beaten with milk and cottage cheese for extra creaminess. Creamy. Need I say more?
Top Layer = CHEESE. The fun part. The second best part to every pizza (first would have to be the crust, duh). When it comes to cheese it takes me forever to decide what type to actually use. There are just SO many options out there these days it gets overwhelming. Leave your indecivness out of this and use le gruyere. It melts perfectly, while giving hearty flavor to your breakfast.
So there it is. Three layers of breakfast pizza. Aka quiche. Aka go make this NOW! It’s easy and delicious and we could all use a little upgrade to our blah breakfast routine once in awhile.
- 1 lb frozen hash browns, thawed (about 3 cups, 1 package)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup broccoli, steamed and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup milk (any milk works)
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded le greuye cheese
- 1 Tbsp seasoning of choice (21 seasoning salute)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté onion, bell pepper and garlic over medium high heat until tender and cooked. Should take about 5 minutes. Turn off heat and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a 9 inch pie pan with nonstick spray. Remove excess mixture from hash browns by pressing between paper towels. Place hash browns into pan and mix with olive oil, salt, pepper and seasonings. Press into the bottom and sides of the pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown then remove.
- Set oven to 350 degrees. Whisk eggs, milk, cottage cheese and more salt and pepper then pour over hash brown crust. Pour steamed brocolli and sauted veggies over egg mixture and top with le gruyere cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until eggs have set and cheese is nice and bubbly. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Top with avocado and enjoy!
- Makes one 9 inch round quiche