Cuz it’s mah birthdaaaay y’all!
The Recipe Redux theme this month could not have come at a better time. “Healthy recipes with spirit”. Aka BOOZE. And it just so happens to be my birthday the day we post our recipes. Oh the beautiful irony.
So when it comes to birthdays I am not one of those “center of attention” people. In fact I am not one of those people in general. This is where my inner Tina Fey really shines and I’m all like “no, just leave me alone and let me eat my cake in peace”.
Yeah that’s me in a nutshell. With birthdays I am more focued on the cake and the chocolate and the food. Ahh birthday dinners are just the best because all bets are off. In fact my day will most likely consist of pancakes for breakfast, cupcakes for lunch and cocktails for dinner. Hey, it’s my day and I’ll do what I want right?!
With all nutrition aside, lets talk chamagne. And dessert. Two dangerously delicious things that will forever be in my heart.
In order to kick start my birthday with a bang I had to go all out with a balls out dessert. And by balls out I mean HOLY YUM. You’ll catch on to my wanna-be cool lingo eventually.
This crisp is the utlimate summer dessert. It has my three favorite berries, (probably everyones favorite?) strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. The crisp part is even made healthier with lots of oats, almonds and almond butter.
To kick up the flavor you will add graham flour (graham crackers belnded into flour, seriously life changing) and brown sugar. Do not replace the brown sugar with regular sugar. You need that caramely flavor from the brown stuff that makes a berry crisp, a true berry crisp.
Oh and so the berries have bellini in it. Bellini and me go way back. I had my first glass (bottle?) when I was 15 years old living in Italy for a month. Yes this happened and yes it was a life changing experience. In any case, lots of delicious food and wine was consumed on this trip but the bellini really left a mark with my best friend Corinnie and I. It became our drink that we ordered to sound cool and hip, and it just tasted so darn good in that scorching Italian heat.
I am always reminiscing on my days in Europe; I even went back a second time at 19 with my boyfriend and traveled through Italy, Spain and Paris. So now it’s safe to say I am HIGHLY addictive to all things foriegn and adventurous.
Somewhere along the lines of all this growing up stuff and becoming an adult, traveling the world became my passion, and so did cooking. This amazing dessert represnets that in so many ways. I Hope you looove it and make sure to have a glass of bellini for me tonight!
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup bellini
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup graham flour (graham crackers blended into flour)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil or melted butter
- sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9 inch cast iron skillet or baking dish ad set aside.
- Mix together berries, champagne and maple syrup. Place in the dish.
- Combine oats, graham flour, sliced almonds, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Stir in olive oil and almond butter until well combined. You will need to use your hands to crumble the almond butter into the dry ingredients. Once fully combined, distribute over berry mixture.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until top is golden and berries have burst through the crumble.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Top with ice cream or greek yogurt!
- This goes best with ice cream or greek yogurt! Store in the fridge and reheat in the oven at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes when you want to have leftovers!