It took me days to come up with a name for this recipe. There is so much going on, so many booming flavors and catchy ways I could have phrased it. But starting it with “sweet peach…” seemed more than appropriate for summer.
These wrap thingys are like P.F. Changs but better. And healthier. And peachy.
My dad even approved stating, quote, unquote: These are better than than Chinese P.F. Changs place.
Ahh those glorious moments where you satisfy even the pickiest of eaters.
This was another thrown together recipe than went down in TNK. The Asian flavors paired with the sweetness of chopped peaches and maple syrup forced me to remake, write down the recipe and photograph for you all.
The ingredients are beyond easy and the result is beyond refreshing, making a perf summer dinner with friends. You can even serve this over quinoa or throw quinoa into the mix just to make em a little heartier.
When it comes to summer meals outside, I prefer a lighter meal. Paired with lots of refreshing white wine. Balance right?
There is a specific seasoning that gives these wraps their Asian flair and overall yummyness. Chinese 5-Spice Powder. You can find this in loval supermarkets or places like Whole Foods and Sprouts. There are no substitutions for this spice, you need to just buckle down and go buy it.
Believe me, you will not be dissapointed! It will come in handy in almost any Asian inspired dishes you wish to make. The stuff is life changing.
Another ingredient that may seem a little odd, is ketchup. I used 1 tablespoon of ketchup in this recipe because it truley adds flavor. Don’t leave this out and don’t be weirded out by it. It adds a sweetness and flavor nothing else will provide. Most sesame chicken recipes call for ketchup, you’d be surprised! Just try to use one that doesn’t have high fructose corn syrup cuz that stuff be naaasty for ya.
Make these at this batch of meat at the beginning of your week and you’ll have yourself an easy meal to come home to for a few days. Seriously it won’t get old. Made it two weeks in a row with no shame whatsoever! I also had to hide it from my parents because those guys were vulture with this stuff! I’m working on the whole “sharing” thing still…
- 1 lb lean ground chicken
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 cup purple cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp 5 spice Chinese powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp seasoning of choice (I used Trader Joe’s 21 seasoning salute)
- 1 peach, chopped
- 1/4 cup almonds or cashews, chopped
- Butter lettuce cups
- Heat sesame oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Add in cabbage, carrots and onions and saute until wilted, about 10 minutes. Add in ground chicken, maple syrup, soy sauce, ketchup and seasonings. Cook until chicken has browned and cooked through. This will take about another 5-10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and allow chicken to simmer in flavors for 5 minutes. Stir in chopped peaches and nuts then distribute into lettuce cups.
- Serves 8.
- Store leftover ground chicken in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.